This Buffalo Blue Cheese Bacon Burger is stuffed, then topped with sharp, tangy, rich and creamy Blue Cheese. Definitely a burger for the man in your life!
I should’ve just called this the Man Burger and gotten it over with. 🙂 Look how thick, stuffed and juicy this burger is!
Don’t you love how the blue cheese is melted in the center of this burger, making it extra juicy and big and bold on flavor? That tangy flavor comes from the sharp blue cheese, both stuffed between the patties before grilling, so that it gets nice and melted inside, then layered on top before serving.
This past week was The Husband’s birthday, and there’s nothing he loves more than a big burger and an ice cold beer. So, I gifted him both. 🙂
And, since we’ve had record temperatures here in the Pacific Northwest, what that means is – that we are like magnets to our grill. If it’s food, and it can be grilled, you know where to find us. Just follow the smoke.
If you decide to try this burger, you’ll likely find ground bison in the freezer section at your local grocery store, not at the meat counter. They come in one-pound packages and are slightly pricier than lean ground beef at $9.99 pound.
And, when you make a big, beefy Buffalo Blue Cheese Bacon Burger like this, be sure to get a strong, sharp blue cheese to really enhance that amazing blue cheese flavor. I used Castello Danish Blue Cheese crumbles, which was abolutely perfect.
If you’ve never had Bison before, it’s a great substitute for ground beef in that it is rich in flavor, low in fat and high in protein. Although it’s very similar in flavor to high quality beef, its the slightly sweeter taste that sets it apart.
And, because there isn’t a lot of fat in the meat, your patties also won’t shrink on the grill as much! Which keeps them at that manly size. 🙂
And by the way, if you can find them, get yourself nice hamburger buns that will stand up to a hefty burger like this. I am totally in love with these hamburger buns I discovered at the store. They are denser than typical hamburger buns (you know…, the ones that fall apart half way through your burger?), and they have a great assortment of seeds on top like flax seeds, poppy seeds and sunflower seeds. They are ssssoooo yummy!
While I call these Buffalo Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers, did you notice that you don’t see the traditional strips of bacon layered across the top?
That’s because I cooked and crumbled the bacon and mixed it into the ground buffalo itself. I also finely chopped some onions and added them into the burger mixture. When grilled, the combination of the buffalo, bacon and onions adds such great flavor! It’s a trick I like to do sometimes just for a different flavor profile.
- 1 pound ground Bison**
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled*
- sliced tomato
- sliced onion
- green leaf lettuce
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Cook bacon, drain and set aside to cool. Once cool, crumble.
- Mix ground bison, bacon and onion together in a bowl until well combined. Season with salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Divide meat into 4 equal portions and press into patties.
- Top two of the four burgers with 1 and ½ tablespoons of blue cheese, in the center of the burger. Top with the other burger and seal the edges together. You will now have two stuffed burgers.
- Place burgers on grill on high heat and sear for 1 and ½ minutes. Turn burgers and grill another 1 to 1 and ½ minutes to sear, then turn down to medium. Cook an additional 3 minutes on one side, then another 2 minutes on the opposite side OR UNTIL DONE. Cooking time will vary depending on the burger size. Do not overcook them. Remove from grill and let rest 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with toppings and bun.
**You can also use ground beef for this recipe.