A sandwich so good you’ll want to phone a friend to tell them about it. 🙂
Easy and super fast if you pass on roasting the garlic. But, if you’re a garlic lover like we are, that’s one ingredient you don’t want to pass up.
A perfect, light, low fat and satisfying meal that tastes so good, you’ll love to have it on a busy weeknight! The beautiful thing is? It looks fabulous and it couldn’t be easier to put together!
Now I don’t know about you, but for me, if it’s a sandwich, it’s all about the bread. Of course, the other ingredients must make an appearance too and their very presence can make or break a good sandwich. But…, if the bread is bad ~ you’re probably like me and you’re shedding that bread to get to the good stuff.
You don’t want to do that here. 🙂
Be sure to get beautiful, red, ripe on-the-vine tomatoes.
In this recipe, I pre-toasted my bread, but in hindsight I’m not sure you have to. The broiler will toast the bread, at least on the top – so when you’re making the “Do I toast?” or “Do I not toast?” decision, ask yourself how much texture you want in your bread. We love a lot of texture and we love the over-done crunchy bits – so pre-toasting before broiling was the perfect decision for us!
And you can have it with, or without, the balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil drizzle. It’s good this way too!
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 2 chicken breast, cut in half and pounded to ¼" thick
- 4 slices Artisan onion bread, toasted
- tomatoes, sliced
- mozarella cheese, sliced
- basil, julienned
- balsamic vinegar, scant
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the top off of the garlic, exposing the tops of the heads.
- Create a tinfoil tent, and place garlic inside, with cut sides up. Drizzle exposed garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Wrap garlic tightly in tin foil, place in a baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oven, and when cool enough to touch, squeeze garlic cloves from the skins. Discard skins. Drizzle just a scant amount of olive oil over heads, then smash the garlic heads with a fork to make a paste. Set aside.
- Toast bread and set aside.
- Spread garlic paste on each slice of bread and set aside.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken breast.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Turn heat down to medium. Add chicken to pan and cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes per side or until done and juices run clear. When done, remove from pan and set aside. Let rest for 2 minutes.
- Layer garlic bread with chicken, tomatoes and mozarella cheese. Place under broiler and heat until cheese melts and is bubbly. Remove from oven and top with basil. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.