This Easy Hot Italian Sausage Soup is amazingly savory and flavorful, and easy to make. Great for a weeknight!
Have you met my most favorite-ist soup of all time, ever?
Every time I make this soup, all dinner conversation halts and you wouldn’t know that anyone at the table even knew each other. We’re all heads down slurping soup from our poor, over-worked spoons or dipping our freshly made Garlic Parmesan Parsley Toasts into the flavorful broth and crunching our way through the nummy goodness.
And moaning. There’s lots and LOTS of happy moaning going on.
“MMMmmm…MMMMM….,thisissogood.Iabsolutelylovethissoup.” This gobbledygook is disturbingly mixed with excessive slurping and crunching. You can barely decipher the words, but over the years I’ve learned that this is what they’re saying.
Oh, wait! PSA!…I almost forgot to tell you! I need your help!
Did I tell you I’m in a photography challenge? Well, this upcoming week has me stumped. The topic is “routine”.
Now, I ask you…How in the heck do you shoot ‘routine’?
I know that some of you may be thinking coffee. Or breakfast. But, I want something unique. Something really outside the box. Something no-one else will think of. Can you help me do that? Please. Pretty please? I’ll make you some ssssoooooup….
Oh! And remember…if you come up with something like a dance routine, or a drill team routine…people might think it’s kinda creepy if I’m just taking random pictures of them. And, since I don’t know anyone who does dance or drill team ~ if you have an idea like that, I need to have a plan that doesn’t make me look like a stalker. Mmmm, k?
At least some things in life are easy. Thank goodness for the no-brainers, yeah? Well, this crazy delicious soup just happens to be one of them. It’s sssooo easy and yet SO delicious you won’t mind that you have left-overs (can you say “routine”?). So, bon appetit and send me your idea-rs!
- 6 (4-ounce) links Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (roughly 1 cup)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (roughly 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 7-8 cups chicken broth*
- ½ pound orzo
- 1 (10-ounce) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble into a large stock pot. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown (fully cooked and heated through). Remove from heat and drain excess fat.
- Return pot (with sausage in it) to heat and add bell pepper, onion, garlic and tomatoes (with liquid). Stir in parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in orzo and spinach. Continue cooking for 10 minutes until pasta is al dente.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Easy Hot Italian Sausage Soup
Adapted from Jackie’s Sausage Soup on AllRecipes.