I’m so excited to finally bring you a recipe I’ve been meaning to make for a long time.
You might think it’s strange I’m bringing you a breakfast burrito.
It’s not fancy. It’s not hard to make. It doesn’t take a multitude of ingredients. And…
The photograph’s not going to win any photography awards.
But…it’s made in one skillet (you all know how I love that!) and it’s full of all those breakfast flavors you love like eggs, sausage, onions, bell peppers, chiles and cheese.
You know what’s even better?
You can make them on the weekend and store them in the freezer so you and your family can grab-and-go for at least a week. This recipe makes roughly 14 burritos if you fill them “healthy” and full (well, full enough to still be able to fold and freeze them).
Now, when you eat these, they shouldn’t look like this! Oh no…to eat them properly, you might want to garnish them with goodies like pica de gallo, sour cream, spicy hot sauce, cilantro and maybe a bit more of a sprinkle of cheese.
Or do like I do, and keep it simple. Just put them in the microwave 1-2 minutes, and eat them exactly as they are. You won’t lose any of that flavor hidden inside!
Are you wondering why these in the photograph don’t have all the extra goodies?
Well, because I wanted these little babies to look exactly the way they’re going to look right before you wrap them in waxed paper, store them in a Ziploc bag and toss them in the freezer!
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 and ½ cup frozen hash browns
- ⅓ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Ancho-chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded hot pepper blend cheese
- 12-20 flour tortillas
- Spray pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Crumble sausage and add to hot pan. Turn heat down to medium. Cook sausage until thoroughly cooked throughout. Do not drain, unless sausage is very fatty (if sausage is fatty, drain and reserve a bit of fat in the pan to fry the potatoes). Transfer the sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add hash browns and cook until they are roughly ½ done. Then, add red bell peppers, onions, green chiles, Ancho-chile powder and cumin and cook until potatoes are completely done and a bit crunchy.
- Add eggs and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until nearly done. Add sausage to pan and cook until eggs are completely done throughout.
- Next, add both cheddar and hot pepper blend cheese and stir until thoroughly melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Place each tortilla out individually and fill with 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling. Fold each side, then roll top to bottom until filling is entirely contained. Wrap each burrito in waxed paper and secure with tape (if necessary). Put in a Ziploc bag and place in freezer.
- When ready to eat, heat in a microwave 1 to 2 minutes (READ NOTE) until warm throughout.