One of my favorite fall desserts is a fresh-from-the-oven Apple Crisp.
I nearly always double the crisp part of the recipe that adorns the top, because I love how the crumble topping blends so beautifully with the tart of the Granny Smith!
This time, I added hazelnuts for a roasted, richer flavor that went beautifully with this Apple Crisp! It looked and tasted so fall to me, I couldn’t resist digging in. I didn’t even warm it and top it with vanilla ice cream – it was just that good!
As fall settles in, I no longer have apples on my trees, but until next year, I have fond memories of what is yet to come! My mind is already buzzing with new apple recipes to try next fall!
- ½ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ¼ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine oats, finely chopped hazelnuts, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbles and set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a pie plate with ⅓ of the crumble mixture.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle fruit with granulated sugar. Gently place fruit in pie plate on top of crumble bottom.
- Sprinkle remaining crumble top over the apples and top with coarsely chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until done.