With Thanksgiving tomorrow, this easy and kid-friendly (prepared the day before) recipe will let you focus on the things most important this holiday – family, friends and food – without having to worry if your guests have something to drink.
I love the festive color!
Since this recipe calls for two packages of jello mix, you can alter the color and the taste by simply choosing your favorite jello flavor. In the photos, I used cherry jello (of course!) because I wanted that bright red, rich color, and I knew that when I added the carbonated lemon-lime soda, it was going to lighten the color a lot.
What’s so great about this recipe is, you simply mix your ingredients and freeze it. When you need to use it, simply pull it out of the freezer, put it in a punch bowl, and pour the soda on top. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
I’ve done this several ways.
Here you can see that I used frozen ice cubes – which is great if you are feeding a smaller crowd. If you do decide to go the ice cube route, when you’re serving, store them in an ice bucket, and just use as needed.
When I’m feeding a crowd, I’ve also used a bundt pan like this one, which makes a very pretty presentation – just put the flat side down in your punch bowl and pour the soda in! Your drinks will stay really cold and get slushy this way.
If you are feeling particularly festive, you can sugar the rim of your glasses like I’ve done here. Then, just pour in the soda!
Recipe slightly adapted from AllRecipes.
- 2½ cups white sugar
- 6 cups water
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cherry flavored jello mix
- 1 (46-fluid ounce) can pineapple juice
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 1 quart orange juice
- 2 (2 liter) bottles lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
- Add water, sugar and strawberry jello mix to a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring until sugar and jello mix are fully dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orange juice. When cool, separate into two containers and freeze.
- In a large punch bowl, add the frozen concoction. Pour 1 bottle of lemon-lime flavored beverage on top. Repeat when necessary.