This Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Spaghetti is a copycat recipe of the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. If you love Mizithra Cheese, you will love this recipe!
The one item on the Old Spaghetti Factory menu that draws me in…every.single.time. is their Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Spaghetti.
It’s simply as scrumptious as they claim it is, with the deep, rich, nutty flavor of a perfectly cooked amber brown butter, topped with dry, salty Mizithra cheese. Mizithra is very much like Parmesan in texture, and it has a flavor profile that can stand all on it’s own.
Is it any wonder I can’t resist ordering this, every time I visit?
I truly can’t resist the draw of the alluring, pungent and satisfying first taste. And…as much as I enjoy visiting and sitting in one of their old-time, antique-looking chairs in the rich, luxurious colors of deep royal purple and sexy sultry reds…please – let me tell you – just don’t get me started on their dark, warm, inviting, magnificent hardwood floors. I truly love me some wood floors. Like crazy love, LOVE. Not that fakey kinda, I-might-think-I-kinda-like-you, kind of love. I’m talkin’ real L.O.V.E.
Seriously. I love wood floors more than I can tell you. I sometimes think if I could lay down and do fake snow angels on hardwood floors, I would. Oh wait – I’ve already done that. Right after we remodeled – I laid down on the floor and faked a snow angel – right there in the living room. And, it was glorious. Trust me on that one.
Anyway, I’d be aging myself if I told you how long the Old Spaghetti Factory has been satisfying my senses with their old world, welcoming style and my palette. But, I digress.
If you aren’t lucky enough to have an Old Spaghetti Factory near you, then I’ll just say “I’m truly sorry”. For this dish, you are totally missing out.
But, the good news is…it can’t possibly be any easier to make at home. The most time consuming thing about this whole recipe is, the amount of time it will take you to get the pasta al dente. Everything else is easy peasy!
BTW, this dish is absolutely fabulous when served with a savory Mild Italian Sausage, or Hot Italian Sausage, which is one of the many ways they sell it at the restaurant.
One more thing! 🙂 Don’t be fooled! Not all brands of Mizithra Cheese are the same. Buy a high quality Mizithra Cheese to get great flavor in your final dish. (p.s. to get the Mizithra Cheese that Old Spaghetti Factory uses, check for grocers in your area!).
- 1 pound (16-ounces) spaghetti pasta
- 1 cup butter ((2) ½ cup sticks)
- 1 cup Mizithra cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- parsley, optional - for color!
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Allow butter to foam and bubble, whisking occasionally to cut the foam. As the butter starts to turn golden, continuously stir the butter until it turns a rich dark brown (similar to a dark lager beer).
- Remove skillet from heat and filter through cheese cloth to remove any burnt solids. Discard cheese cloth and set filtered browned butter aside.
- Cook spaghetti per package instructions until al dente. Drain. Transfer spaghetti to skillet with browned butter (heat if necessary) until spaghetti is coated with melted butter evenly. Plate spaghetti and top with Mizithra cheese, Parmesan and a bit of parsley for color.
Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Spaghetti
For more Mizithra Cheese Recipes, try these:
- Mizithra and Browned Butter Spaghetti Squash from My Purple Spoon
- Lamb Ragu with Mizithra Cheese from OMG Food