I love, love, love flavorful, simple, week-night recipes that I can prepare in 20 minutes or less. Don’t you?
I sure wish I had a nickle for every time I’ve said that. Ok, the truth is…I wish I had more than a nickle every time I said that, because I’d be a very rich woman. (Cooking Light magazine, are you listening???)
But I digress from my real point. Let me just say, this magazine continues to give me great light, fresh and flavorful dishes that never disappoint. Like this open-faced Egg Salad Sandwich.
Now, I will admit…I do have one itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny, Cooking-Light-might-have-a-problem-with-this kind of problem.
I simply can’t make them quite as ‘low-fat’ as the original recipe calls for.
Seriously, I just can’t help it. And, I think you might agree with me.
As far as I’m concerned, any recipe that calls for 2 slices of bacon for 4 sandwiches just doesn’t seem right. I mean, come on!!! That’s like 1/2 of a slice of bacon per person. I’m just sayin’. That ain’t right and I ain’t havin’ that. I’d fight over that other half slice.
So, modifications are made. And, my tummy (and yours) will be happier.
And, I’ll admit. I may not be entirely low-fat on this blog here, but I can’t think that I”m that far out of line. Well, maybe today. But, not every day. And, that’s ok. Right?
About this sandwich. You will love the bitter bite of the arugula…it is such a perfect compliment to the spicy sriracha sauce and the crispy bacon crystals on top.
Yes, I said bacon crystals. What girl doesn’t love crystals and all things bling-y? Oh, and bacon. Ya gotta love bacon. Bacon is good.
- 4-6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1½ tablespoons plain fat-free non-flavored yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot chile sauce
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped/mashed
- 2 cups arugula
- 8 whole-grain bread slices
- Cook bacon until crispy and done. Crumble and put in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir in onions and next 6 ingredients (through celery salt). Gently stir in eggs.
- Arrange ½ cup arugula on each of 4 bread slices. Top each bread slice with ⅓ cup egg mixture, chopped green onions and bacon.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Egg Salad Sandwiches with Bacon & Sriracha