Oh my gosh – I totally forgot to tell you something!
I had completely and utterly forgotten how much I love this recipe.
Spicy clammy goodness, wrapped up in garlic, butter and hot red pepper flakes. Add two cups of wine, and you’ve got yourself dinner and a drink! In my vast archive of recipes and my desire to always try something new, I sometimes forget to visit my old favorites.
What a complete and utter shame.
But.., the good news is…I’m always pleasantly surprised when I dig into the archive and bring up long, lost friends and get to reminisce over flavorful memories. Today was one of those delightfully satisfying times.
Of course – as usual – I always wait until the last minute to pull something together (always thinking I have more time than I do) – then, when I’m past the point of “I’M STARVING – FEED ME NOW”, is when I think I need to throw something fabulous together. Because, as you know, that’s how it happens. You think it. You make it. You cross your arms, nod your head, blink like Jeannie…and it’s fabulous, right?
Ok…, liar, liar, pants on fire.
Sometimes, but certainly not always. Yet, sometimes I’m just so dang hungry, I can’t wait. Can you see what happened today?
The best news of this entire post is – this recipe is easy, fabulous, simple and fail-proof.
Isn’t he a cute little fella?
No Jeannie required.
- ½ cup real butter
- 5 large cloves of fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon heaping dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon heaping dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 36-50 fresh clams
- Prep fresh clams by placing them in cool tap water and adding ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat butter over skillet on medium high heat until melted. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add white wine and spices until simmering. Add clams and cover.
- Cook over medium heat until clams open, approximately 5-10 minutes until clams open. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Serve in bowls and ladle broth over them!
Slightly modified from an AllRecipes recipe here @ Clams Italiano.