These Tropical Chicken Tacos will take you straight to the Caribbean! They are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy with a pineapple, coconut and jalapeno salsa.
Bring on summer! No, rain. No, summer! No, rain. Wait! Oh hi… Welcome to our weekend.
Saturday was such classic Seattle. Gorgeous, deep, blue skies with innocent, welcoming white fluffy clouds. You run outside. It rains on you. You run inside. The deep, blue skies return with their tempting white clouds mocking you, beaconing you to come outside. So, of course you go…and, in comes the rain within seconds. She’s such a fickle girl, this Seattle weather.
Honestly, I love the un-predictability of it. I should qualify that…I love it as long as I have a short sprint to scatter inside. 🙂 Haha! Ok, so I’m a fickle strange weather lover. Don’t judge.
Let’s get to these it’s-definitely-summertime tacos, shall we…? Before the weather changes?
Think these were good?…I’ve got proof. My recipe notes were photo-bombed by The Husband. 🙂 He put a huge ** 10+ ** on the recipe in Caribbean Blue Sharpie marker.
The Husband deemed these “Jamaicos” – you know for Jamaica + Tacos. Yet, when I rolled my eyes and challenged him about that, he said “You asked for words. I gave you words. You didn’t say they had to be quality words.” He thinks he so darn funny. Does anyone need a husband? 🙂
But, I had to admit… Good point. Check and match.
These tacos are definitely not your typical Mexican-type taco. These are Caribbean all.the.way.
Think palm trees, sand and gentle, lapping water while you relax on the beaches of Jamaica. These tacos fit perfectly there. They have a nice, light citrus flavor with the juiciness of the pineapple, the sweet of coconut and the spicy bite of jalapeno.
They are a pure Caribbean vacation in a taco right here. KaBam!
You can thank April’s Mystery Dish for these little numbers. 🙂 April was MY month to host, and below is the list I put together. The Mystery Dish Gals had to choose 3 ingredients to create a unique recipe:
- Vidalia Onions
- Puff Pastry
Tell me readers – what recipe would YOU have made from this list?
Check out what the other Mystery Dish gals made!
Pineapple Cake (I Dig Pinterest): http://www.idigpinterest.com/
Honey Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki Skillet (Flavor the Moments): http://flavorthemoments.com/
Chicken Alfredo Bacon Pastry Pockets (Simply Gloria): http://wp.me/p3aWu3-28v
Ricotta Asparagus Tart (Yummy Healthy Easy): http://
Pineapple Scones (The Pajama Chef): http://thepajamachef.com/2015/
- 1 and ½ pounds of chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 (13.66 ounce) can of lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt, reserved
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, reserved
- ½ teaspoon cumin, reserved
- ¾ cup chopped Roma tomato
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup pineapple chunks, chopped into small pieces*
- 2 to 4 tablespoons jalapeno, finely chopped**
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- scant amount of cilantro
- 6 corn tortilla shells
- Slice chicken breast into strips in place in a bowl. Add coconut milk, salt and ground black pepper. Stir until thoroughly coated. Cover tightly with press-and-seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Combine chopped tomato, red onion, pineapple, jalapeno and coconut in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Put corn tortillas directly on top of grill plates with heat on high. Char on both sides, ensuring the center of the taco shell firms up a bit. Remove from heat, shape into a taco shape and set aside.
- Discard most of the coconut oil, reserving ½ to 1 cup.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat until skillet is hot. Turn down to medium-high to medium. Carefully add chicken and reserved coconut milk. Season with a mixture of chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until chicken is done throughout.
- Assemble tacos by layering cooked chicken, then salsa and top with cilantro.
**I used 4 tablespoons of diced jalapeno and it was moderately spicy.