I started the day out with good, healthy intentions.
But, it didn’t last.
I’d planned to make you some scrumptious Shrimp Tacos that sounded so good, I knew they’d be perfect for a hot summer day. With the record-breaking temperatures around here (remember my poor, pathetic, melted chocolate chips?), I thought something light and refreshing would be perfect for what you’d need.
But, that didn’t happen either.
The weather was supposed to be warm and beautiful, but by mid-day it was cold and cloudy. Suddenly, I wasn’t so hot on cool, light summer Shrimp Tacos, but instead was hankerin’ for something meaty – something hearty – something warm.
So, I decided to light you up a bit. As in a habanero, serrano, jalapeno burger kinda light you up. You know, just a little heat to get the blood a-pumpin’?
Half way through that burger, not only was I full and satisfied, but the sun came out in full force, just like the weathercast promised it would.
I can’t say I’m too disappointed.
That was one tasty burger.
3 Chili Pepper Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle peppers diced fine (from a can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce)
- 2 pieces iceberg lettuce
- 2 slices vine ripened tomato
- 2 slices red onion
- 6 slices bacon cooked
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 Kaiser rolls sliced
- 2 habanero peppers seeded and ribs removed
- 3 serrano peppers seeded and ribs removed
- 3 jalapeno peppers seeded and ribs removed
- 1 pound of ground sirloin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook bacon in microwave until done, reserving bacon fat.
- Prep all remaining condiments (lettuce, tomato, onion), separate slices of cheese, and cut Kaiser rolls in half horizontally.
- Slice habaneros, serranos and jalapenos lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes.
- Place in saute pan with reserved bacon grease.
- Saute for 7 minutes or until soft.
- Mix hamburger with garlic powder, Chipotle pepper flakes, salt and ground black pepper until thoroughly mixed.
- Form into two 1/2 pound burger patties. Press two fingers into the center of each patty.
- Grill burgers on gas grill on high heat for 1 minute. Turn burgers and grill on high 1 additional minute. Turn grill down to medium heat and grill for 5-7 minutes or until done. Do not flip burgers a second time.
- Add cheese. At the same time, grill the bottoms of burger buns.
- Remove burgers when done and let rest 3-5 minutes.
- Slather bottom bun with Chipotle mayonnaise mix and layer burger, bacon, pepper mix and top with lettuce tomato and onion.