Bahama Breeze Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp just like you order it at the restaurant! If you like the buttery, spicy, garlicy shrimp at Bahama Breeze, you’ll love this!
If you love the buttery, spicy, garlicy, Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp at the Bahama Breeze restaurant, you will absolutely love this recipe.
The Caribbean flavor of the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning spice explodes in your mouth with hints of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and cumin. A touch of dried jalapenos (in the seasoning spice) and freshly diced Serrano chilis in the dish, round out the heat, giving you that sweet/spicy flavor we all crave in a perfectly seasoned jerk dish.
I’ve been working at this recipe for a long time, and I think it’s nearly identical to Bahama Breeze restaurant’s Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp, only better because it’s slightly spicer with a great combination of flavors in the home-made Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.
Finally, no more long drives and fork-fights over the last shrimpy!
You might be tempted to buy the jerk seasoning from the grocery store or a specialty store (and no-one’s going to stop you!), but with this recipe, go the extra step and make your own Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, because that’s what makes this shrimp dish really sing.
Serve this with a nice crunchy, crusty bread sliced and warmed straight from the oven – because you’ll want to dip it into the buttery salsa-like juices!
p.s. the recipe calls for 8-10 sprigs of thyme. That is how they serve it at the restaurant with the 8-10 sprigs on top (yes, I counted them!),
but I forgot to add them in before I baked it, which is why you don’t see them in the photo! If you make it at home, and do it right (unlike I did), your dish will look slightly different. I’ll update the photo the next time I make this delectable dish. The photos have been updated with sprigs of thyme included, like they should be.
Bahama Breeze Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp
- 1/4 cup light beer
- 1/4 cup chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon diced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely diced Serrano chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion scallions
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican Jerk spice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 12 raw shrimp peeled, deveined, tails on
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 8-10 thyme sprigs
- 1 loaf Parisian bread
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Place beer, spices and herbs (up to cilantro) in a small cast iron skillet, then add the shrimp. Pour the melted butter over the top of the shrimp and top with thyme sprigs.
- Slice the loaf of bread into 1-inch thick slices and wrap in tinfoil.
- Place cast iron skillet of shrimp and wrapped bread on the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake 5 - 7 minutes or until shrimp is done.
- Remove shrimp and bread from oven and serve.
Post and photos updated 11/11/2014.