This healthy Bean & Couscous Salad is mayonnaise free, easy to make and great for feeding a crowd! It will be a favorite at your next BBQ, picnic or family get-together.
Gah…you guys… I made you a picnic summer salad that is so fresh, colorful and flavorful that you’re going to love it and add it to your routine must-make list. And, it’s mayonnaise free. Yes!
Let me just say, this salad saved my bacon on Father’s Day too. Yikes! p.s. do not do what I did.
For The Husband, I was making BBQ Ribs, but I made the BBQ sauce ssssoooo hot, that even I couldn’t eat it. Yes!!!! Hello Ghost Pepper sauce… you shouldn’t sneak up on a girl like that. 🙂
Now, you all know it’s rare, when even I, can’t eat something spicy. So, it was a good thing I had this crisp, summer salad to cool me down. I even lost feeling in my face once or twice. #tohottohandle
Have you ever had that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think “I’m not sure that’s a good idea”, yet you do it anyway? Mmmm hmmmm…that’s what I’m talking about. Welcome to my Father’s Day Sunday. A quick pour of what I thought would be a reasonable amount of Ghost Pepper sauce, added to some bland BBQ sauce, turned out to be a full TKO that nearly took my head off.
Now, in my defense, I had The Husband taste test it multiple times, and after about the 5th or 17th time of trying to fix it, he gave me the two thumbs up nod that it was OK. He wasn’t nearly as confident when he was crying as he finished his dinner. 🙂
JK. He didn’t cry.
Ok, I do admit – it was blazing, insanely hot and I vow not do do that again until I forget this incident next week. Now, onto this life changing (saved my bacon!) salad.
It’s super simple to make, has few spices, yet packs an incredible flavor from the red pepper, green onion, corn and beans mixed with lime and red wine vinegar. And, you can make a vegetarian version by using vegetable stock, instead of the chicken stock I used.
With the no mayonnaise base, it’s a healthified version that’s super colorful with lots of crunch, fiber and tangy-ness that you’ll love. And, it’s absolutely perfect for your next picnic or 4th of July party.
You will love sharing it with friends!
Bean & Couscous Salad
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 and 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 green onions chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 15.25 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium-sized sauce pan; stir in the couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar and cumin together. Add red pepper, corn and beans and mix well. Fold in green onions.
- Stir the couscous to separate chunks and add to the bowl with the beans and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate to serve later.