This Beef Meximelt – Taco Bell Clone is so nearly identical to Taco Bell’s that you won’t be able to tell the difference from this copycat recipe to the one from the restaurant!
I have an admission to make. When I need a quick fix, I love Beef Meximelts at Taco Bell.
I try to avoid fast food as much as possible, but on those rare times that I head for the drive-thru, I typically find myself at Taco Bell ordering a Beef Meximelt. The warm, soft flour tortilla is filled with perfectly seasoned and juicy ground beef, topped with ooey-gooey cheese, and fresh pico de gallo.
And, they’re so soft and foldable! They literally melt in your mouth. I love that about them.
Why it took me years to think to make them at home is still a mystery! 🙂
They are super simple to make and taste much better when homemade.
I call this my late night Beef Meximelt. My fix.
It all started when I visited Baker’s Royale blog to read her Food Photography Tips for Bloggers: Part 2 post. She clearly said it was a long post, and I believed her. So, I grabbed a festive beverage – and because I had the late night munchies, I grabbed a Beef Meximelt too. It heals what ails ya. 😉
Be sure to see Naomi’s post if you love food photography, because she has great tips and shares her process for getting great shots!
Now, this is what will get ya… it’s after midnight and I’m in complete darkness with the exception of my computer screen – just the way I like it. Apparently, I’m a ‘cave dweller’ as The Husband likes to say. Yet, in the complete and utter darkness, it still tastes like a Beef Meximelt. Bam!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix or homemade, recipe below
- 8 ounces pepperjack cheese shredded
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- pico de gallo
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and then heat on medium-high heat. Add hamburger and cook until browned and done throughout. Drain fat from hamburger. Add taco seasoning (per package instructions). Turn down to low and keep warm.
- Place a serving of hamburger meat, pepperjack and cheddar cheese down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 1" gap at the top and bottom of the tortilla. Top with a serving of pica de gallo. Fold in the top and bottom of the tortilla, then roll until ingredients are fully enclosed.
- Wrap tortilla in a paper towel and microwave 2 at a time for 1 minute.
Taco Bell Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To use, add seasoning to browned hamburger and add 3/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Taco Bell Taco Seasoning recipe from Food.com.