This Dry Rub Cajun Salmon Salad is fresh, light and healthy – perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
Monday’s post told you this weather is making me crave summer, which means bathing suit weather is coming soon. Yeah!!! And YIKES…! I don’t know about you, but I’m totally not ready for that! 🙂
Enter healthy eating, and hellooooo Cajun Salmon Salad. We love you… Now get us to skinny, won’t you? 🙂 Before I used to eat salmon, I used to think, can you cook salmon from frozen? When I found out that you could, salmon has become my best friend when it comes to cooking healthier meals.
Do you ever feel that way? You stare at the salad thinking “Man, if I’m going to eat you – you better be healthy and make me look good – otherwise I’m going for the french fries with gravy and a big juicy burger!” Or, is that just me?
I’m pretty sure it might be just me. Which is why this salad and I met. We’re working toward swimsuit weather together.
Thank goodness it tastes so good! I think you’ll love it.
It’s full of bright, fresh, colorful veggies – like tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, celery and green onions. All tossed with some mixed Baby Spring Greens, which are one of my favorite mixes of lettuce!
I love how colorful the mix is, and the various shapes of the leaves. I know…it’s a silly thing to like about lettuce, but I love a plate that’s colorful and artful. Because when everything comes together, it not only tastes good, it looks good too – and let’s admit – we all eat with our eyes!
Based on the Reader Survey, at least 1/2 of you are ready to aboard the health food train with me! w00t! Let’s do this. But, I’m going to need your help! If we’re going to be in this together, we need to do it together.
Tell me – what are your go-to favorite healthy recipes to get you ready for summer? Please, tell me in the comments!
I’d love to share my take on your recipe ideas!!!
And, if you’ve tried a healthy recipe I’ve posted here on IK and you loved it… please comment so that I know what to make more of!
One of the many things I learned from the survey I did, is that my readers love the word ‘healthy’ and ‘easy’ when it relates to recipes. Which means we are both off to a great start in getting fit and healthy for summer! Guess what though? We are refusing to sacrifice flavor! Yes? Are you with me on this? I thought you might be!
p.s. here’s a homemade recipe for Cajun Seasoning if you want to make your own!
Cajun Salmon Salad
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame dressing and marinade
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning* optional
- 1 pound salmon filet skin off
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 5 ounce bag baby spring mix greens
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper sliced
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 3 green onions diced
- Mix dressing with cajun seasoning* and set aside. (See note)
- Rinse and lightly pat dry salmon filets. Rub 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning onto each side of the salmon filet.
- Get a cast iron skillet hot over high heat**, then carefully add 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl around until the bottom of the pan is completely coated with oil. Gently place salmon filets in pan and sear 1-2 minutes, then turn the filets over and sear another 1-2 minutes***. Remove from pan and let salmon rest.
- Place spring greens on a plate and layer with celery, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and green onions. Place salmon filets to the side, and serve with dressing!
**The key to not having the salmon stick is to have a very hot pan. My pan was slightly smoking from the heat which caused my salmon to cook really fast. Also, my salmon was very thin.
***Be sure to cook the salmon to your taste preference. I like our salmon done throughout, but again, my filets were really thin - that's why there is such a short cooking time for each side! Cook as long as you need to, to get to desired doneness.