This Creamed Pearl Onions recipe is a rich, creamy, and elegant side dish to any holiday meal – packed with pearl onions in a decadent, buttery, cream sauce.
What dish is a tradition at your Thanksgiving table?
Come the holidays, it’s so important to have quick, easy side dishes that you don’t have to think about. Because of that, I’m just about to make your Thanksgiving a whole lot easier. 🙂
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it a day ahead for stress-free baking the day-of.
However, traditions can change. Things can be added. Can’t they?
Like this absolutely decadent, rich and luxurious Creamed Pearl Onions recipe. What I love is, how they ‘pop’ in your mouth when you crunch into them. Then, they’re filled with that onion-y flavor we all love so much.
I think onions add so much depth of flavor to a dish, don’t you?
But holidays are for indulging. And, every once in a while, it’s OK to cut loose and be a little free with the calories. Are you with me?
I hope so because, you just might need to get out your eatin’ pants. Remember them?
- Candied Pecans
- Candied Pecan Maple Ice Cream
- Caramel Banana Xango
- French Onion Soup Burgers
- Chicken Marsala
So, you should totally have a pair right now. In case of an emergency, you know?
These onions? They are that emergency. #youneedtheminyourlife
Now… don’t worry if your family can’t finish this rich dish all in one sitting. You know why? Since it was just the two of us, we had leftovers and ate it over grilled hamburgers. It was AWEsome! Very rich, creamy, with loads of onion flavor. Just how we like our burgers!
Oh! One more thing. Don’t forget the salt, pepper and parsley! They are a must, so you don’t want to omit them. With this dish’s rich, onion-y, creamy flavor, it’s an excellent comforting dish that you’ll want to put in your holiday sides rotation! Comfort food at it’s best!
Creamed Pearl Onions
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 14-ounce package, frozen pearl onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add frozen pearl onions. Cover and boil for 5 minutes or until pearl onions are tender (don't overcook - they will be baked again). Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter on medium to medium-low heat until melted (you do not want to burn it!). Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, Parmesan cheese and onions. Remove from heat.
- Pour into an un-greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Recipe modified from Taste Of Home @ Creamed Pearl Onions.