This Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Buttercrunch has a buttery, rich, hazelnut crumble bottom topped with decadent, indulgent, dark chocolate and tart cranberries.
Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate?
You guys – today is something special! For the first time, I am participating in Mystery Dish.
If you’re not familiar with Mystery Dish, it’s a group of bloggers that take turns each month coming up with a list of ingredients that other participating bloggers must use to create a unique dish.
This month we had to choose at least 3 ingredients from the following list:
- Pork Belly
- Dark Chocolate
- Red Potatoes
- Pimento Cheese
- French Bread
- Rice Krispies
When I first saw ‘pork belly’ on the list, I panicked. No lie. I thought, “What in the world can I make with pork belly?” I was so nervous about coming up with something from a list of mystery ingredients, I nearly bowed out with a feeble “I’m sorry, but I just can’t do it!” Meh.
It never occurred to me until much later that the list wasn’t so intimidating at all, and at the very least, I could’ve made the Purple Gnocchi with Pork Belly that I tried at IFBC 2013! 🙂
Breathe Kristi, breathe.
When in doubt, make a rich, buttery, crunchy, irresistable candy. 🙂 Who doesn’t love that?
But, this recipe is one of our very favorites and I make it in various different forms, come the holidays, every single year. You can actually make this buttercrunch using any nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds), but I’m particularly fond of hazelnuts because of their rich, buttery and deep nutty flavor. So, you can imagine how excited I was to see them on the list!
What you’ll love about making this candy is, that it comes together fast and everyone will rave about how good it is!
The rich, dark chocolate pairs beautifully with the tart, tangy bite of the cranberries – on top of a hazelnut buttercrunch – it’s absolutely heaven in a candy.
Want to see what everyone else made? Visit these blogging friends!
- Turtle Krispies by I Dig Pinterest http://www.idigpinterest.com/2014/11/turtle-krispies-treats.html
- Dark Chocolate Greek Yogurt Cookies by The Pajama Chef http://wp.me/pZi0C-1C6
- Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola Bars by I Want Crazy http://www.iwantcrazyblog.com/chewy-chocolate-hazelnut-granola-bars
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut English Toffee by Flavor the Moments http://flavorthemoments.com/dark-chocolate-hazelnut-english-toffee
- Skinny Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Hazelnut Fudge by Joyful Healthy Eats http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/skinny-dark-chocolate-pomegranate-hazelnut-fudge/
- Cranberry Hazelnut Crepe Cake by Blahnik Baker http://blahnikbaker.com/cranberry-hazelnut-crepe-cake/
- Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats by The Smart Cookie Cook http://wp.me/p3e0SZ-4nJ
- Mini Eggnog Cheesecakes with Hazelnut Cookie Crust by The Well Floured Kitchen http://thewellflouredkitchen.com/2014/11/28/mini-eggnog-cheesecake-with-hazelnut-cookie-crust/
- Salted Hazelnut Scotcheroos by Yummy Healthy Easy http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/?p=6182
Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Buttercrunch
- 2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 and ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 10 ounce package bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries chopped fine
- Butter the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish. Evenly distribute hazelnuts on the bottom of the greased pan.
- Melt 1 cup butter and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat until browned, stirring constantly (roughly 10 minutes).
- In a separate saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate chips, skim milk, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla extract and heat over low heat until thoroughly melted and smooth.
- Pour melted browned butter/sugar mixture over the top of hazelnuts.
- Pour melted bittersweet chocolate over the browned butter mixture. Top with chopped cranberries.
- Cool and let chocolate set before breaking into edible chunks.*