I’m so excited to finally bring you a recipe I’ve been meaning to make for a long time.
You might think it’s strange I’m bringing you a breakfast burrito.
It’s not fancy. It’s not hard to make. It doesn’t take a multitude of ingredients. And…
The photograph’s not going to win any photography awards.
But…it’s made in one skillet (you all know how I love that!) and it’s full of all those breakfast flavors you love like eggs, sausage, onions, bell peppers, chiles and cheese.
You know what’s even better?
You can make them on the weekend and store them in the freezer so you and your family can grab-and-go for at least a week. This recipe makes roughly 14 burritos if you fill them “healthy” and full (well, full enough to still be able to fold and freeze them).
Now, when you eat these, they shouldn’t look like this! Oh no…to eat them properly, you might want to garnish them with goodies like pica de gallo, sour cream, spicy hot sauce, cilantro and maybe a bit more of a sprinkle of cheese.
Or do like I do, and keep it simple. Just put them in the microwave 1-2 minutes, and eat them exactly as they are. You won’t lose any of that flavor hidden inside!
Are you wondering why these in the photograph don’t have all the extra goodies?
Well, because I wanted these little babies to look exactly the way they’re going to look right before you wrap them in waxed paper, store them in a Ziploc bag and toss them in the freezer!
Easy One Skillet Breakfast Burritos (for the freezer!)
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 12 eggs beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cup frozen hash browns
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Ancho-chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded hot pepper blend cheese
- 12-20 flour tortillas
- Spray pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Crumble sausage and add to hot pan. Turn heat down to medium. Cook sausage until thoroughly cooked throughout. Do not drain, unless sausage is very fatty (if sausage is fatty, drain and reserve a bit of fat in the pan to fry the potatoes). Transfer the sausage to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add hash browns and cook until they are roughly 1/2 done. Then, add red bell peppers, onions, green chiles, Ancho-chile powder and cumin and cook until potatoes are completely done and a bit crunchy.
- Add eggs and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until nearly done. Add sausage to pan and cook until eggs are completely done throughout.
- Next, add both cheddar and hot pepper blend cheese and stir until thoroughly melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Place each tortilla out individually and fill with 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling. Fold each side, then roll top to bottom until filling is entirely contained. Wrap each burrito in waxed paper and secure with tape (if necessary). Put in a Ziploc bag and place in freezer.
- When ready to eat, heat in a microwave 1 to 2 minutes (READ NOTE) until warm throughout.
I love make-ahead breakfast ideas like this! It’s so much easier to make a big batch of something and then pull it out during the week to enjoy! These sound delicious! Happy Friday!!
You are so right Ashley. These have saved me so much time during the week! I never go without breakfast any more!
Consuelo @ Honey & Figs says
I love one skillet recipes because I hate doing the dishes. And make-ahead breakfasts are so handy too! What an awesome idea, Kristi! I cannot wait to try these!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend 😀
You have a wonderful weekend too, Consuelo. Ready made meals are the best, aren’t they? Maybe not as healthy as the deliciousness you are cooking up, but at least they’re convenient! Maybe you can try them with eggs whites and ground turkey! 🙂
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says
Mmm.. love the idea of freezer ready homemade burritos! Yum!
Thanks Kiran – no excuses to miss breakfast any more! 🙂
Aimee / Wallflower Girl says
That’s a really good idea, to make frozen ones. And this would be something that would actually make me wanna get out of bed on time in the mornings! I’m craving them for breakfast already!
Exactly Aimee! I agree – any reason to get out of bed is a good one! 🙂 It doesn’t hurt to have breakfast too!
Hey there! I could have me one of these for breakfast..oh yeahhhhh!! 🙂
Freezing them are genius.. and makes complete sense too.. Thanks for sharing!! Xx
Thanks Johlene! I hope you love them!
Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron says
Kristi, you’re a genius! I love breakfast burritos. This is so perfect for busy mornings or when you wake up too lazy to cook anything. 😀
Hahaha! I don’t know about being a genious, but these are fab for a quick breakfast. Thanks Ruby! And, you’re right – perfect for lazy mornings (which I have many of)! LOL.
These would be great on the mornings when Lucy is fussing and I don’t have time to make something from scratch. Thank you for sharing!
Absolutely Monet – I hope you enjoy them when you have far more important things to take care of – like Lucy!
Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ says
I love breakfast burrito! Thanks for sharing this low fuss and flavorful recipe 🙂
Thanks Daniela – easy recipes are the best, aren’t they? Quick, easy and delicious!
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
This is definitely my kind of breakfast burrito, it’s winning awards all over my heart!
Thanks Pamela! It’s perfect for a fast, easy breakfast – and we all love that!
Hash browns in the burrito? Count me in for that. I’d love to have a stash of these in the freezer for quick and easy breakfasts!
The crunchy hash browns makes all the difference – really tasty!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Love meals that you can make ahead and store in the freezer! I hope you had a great weekend, Kristi!
Thanks Ashley – they’ve saved me MANY times! Love the fast freezer meals!
Milana - the Jottings says
Yum! Sounds delicious – love burritos!
Me too – they come in handy when you are hungry!
Love the idea of these one skillet breakfast burritos. Tasty meals like this that you can make ahead and store in the freezer are always a winner in my book 🙂
Mine too – it saves so much time on breakfast! Just a quick grab and go and you’re out the door! You’ve got to love that!
Claire @ The Black Cat Kitchen says
LOVE this idea! They look so perfect for a quick lunch as well. Everything tastes so much better in wrap form as well. Lovely recipe!
Thanks Claire! Oh yea – we don’t restrict ourselves to eating them just for breakfast – in fact, we had them for a late night snack just the other night! haha!
Samina | The Cupcake Confession says
This is such a cool idea!!!!! Goodbye breakfast hassles! This is jusssst the perfect solution! 🙂
Don’t you wish we had easy solutions for everything? 🙂