This Garlic Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza is packed with flavor – amazingly good, simple to make and done in minutes!
Brussels Sprouts – love ’em or hate ’em?
You guysssss. I was sssooooo not going to bring you a pizza recipe today.
And trust me, I did everything in my power to not make this pizza. E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.
Because I’m a big chicken. I’ve always been intimidated about making homemade pizza dough. If you have a pizza restaurant or sell pizza then you may want to purchase a POS System from sites such as https://toppossystem.com/best-pizza-pos-system/.
Call me crazy.
I’ve made bread dozens of times. Pizza dough? Nuh uh. Scary! I usually get my local pizza delivery guy to bring me pizza, I never make it myself!
Here’s a sneak peek. It doesn’t look scary now. You know, now that it turned out and everything. 🙂
But first, I had to clean the entire kitchen. Because hey – who knows, you might need to toss the dough in the remote corners of your pantry. Or, you might be tossing the pizza dough and it lands on the one dirty spot you didn’t clean. One never knows.
So, I swept. Then, I swept again. And, after that, I moved things around. Things that didn’t need to be moved. Basically, I futzed.
Then, I made bacon. Because bacon is easy. And foolproof.
I seriously dawdled for over an hour dreading making the dough.
After that, it all starts to come together into a beautiful pizza that you’re sssooooo proud of, because you actually conquered the I-can’t-believe-it-was-so-easy dough.
And, it ends up turning into something baked and beautiful. Ooey gooey with lots of cheese. Delicious, tender, healthy brussels sprouts. And bacon.
And be sure you don’t forget to save yourself a slice for later so you can remember what a great pizza dough maker you are. You totally rocked it. 🙂
Garlic Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza
- 1 and 1/8 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons garlic coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts stems removed and thinly sliced (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Pizza Crust - *NOTE* This recipe will create two pizza crusts!
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix together well with a spoon, then let it sit until foamy, roughly about 10 minutes. Add in 2 and 1/2 cups of flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together, but is still sticky.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. It's ok if you don't use all of the 1/2 cup of flour!
- Rub the same bowl with olive oil, then place the dough inside, turning the dough around to coat it in the olive oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Add additional flour if the dough is still sticky. Place one half of the dough on a floured countertop and using a rolling pin, roll the pizza to the size of your cast iron skillet.
Pizza Topping - *NOTE* The below pizza topping recipe will create ONE pizza!
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until done and crispy. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to absorb fat. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan, leaving the remaining 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook shallot, garlic, sliced Brussels Sprouts, salt and pepper for roughly 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prep your oven by placing the oven rack near the top of the oven to broil the pizza. Preheat your oven to broil. At the same time, place your cast iron skillet on the stovetop and turn the heat on high. You want to heat the cast iron skillet for 10 minutes or until it is VERY hot. If it begins to smoke to much, turn down the heat, but you do want the skillet very hot.
- **-- USE HEAVY OVEN MITTS – THE SKILLET WILL BE HOT**
- While the skillet is heating, place the toppings on the dough. Add 2 to 3 ounces of cheese to the dough first, then add the Brussels Sprouts, shallots and bacon. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Using a thick pot holder, carefully slide the pizza into the hot cast iron skillet and quickly place it in the oven under the broiler. Turn off the stove top! 🙂 Broil pizza for 1 minute. Using the thick pot holder again, grab the handle and rotate the pan 180 degrees. Broil for 1 more minute. Remove pizza immediately and place on the stovetop. Let cool for roughly 5 minutes, then use a large spatula to remove the pizza.
- Slice and serve!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats @ Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Pizza.