This Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Kalamata Olive Tapenade is so rich in flavor and perfectly light for summer!
Sum- sum- summertime! Bring on the light burgers and the big bold flavors!
What’s not to love? Kalamata olives, garlic, capers, red onion, and EVOO combined with freshly chopped rosemary and thyme leaves? Topped with Feta cheese and you’ve got a great twist on a new summer favorite.
In our first course, we served these on whole wheat buns. When we went in for 2nds (oops! I mean the 2nd course), we ignored the buns and wrapped them in the Bibb lettuce leaves. In our opinion – even better!
Low cal and none of that pesky bread getting in the way of the Kalamata flavor explosion!
The recipe calls for Bibb lettuce and your grocery store may carry the same lettuce labeled as Bibb lettuce or Boston lettuce. What I love about it is, its buttery flavor and the fact that it cups your salsas and extra ingredients and doesn’t let them escape!
If you’re like us, this an absolutely delightful and light twist on a grilled chicken burger for a hot summer day.
BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Kalamata Olive Tapenade
- ¾ c. pitted sliced Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped garlic appx. 2 large cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 pieces of Bibb Boston lettuce leaves
- Mix olives, capers, red onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper in a medium sized bowl. Set aside and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut each chicken breasts in half vertically (if desired). Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Oil grill grates to prevent chicken from sticking. Place chicken on BBQ grill on high heat and grill for 1 minute. Turn chicken breasts, and grill 1 more minute on high heat. Turn heat down to medium and cook 5-7 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked through and done.
- Brush olive oil on bottom sides of both the top and bottom bun. Grill buns until toasted and buns have grill marks. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Layer buns with Bibb lettuce, chicken breast and two tablespoons of Kalamata Olive salsa and top with a sprinkling of feta cheese.