Things go better with love, don’t you think?
Spring has sprung here in the Pacific Northwest, and it simply couldn’t have come at a better time. Cherry Blossom trees are blooming, butterflys are wandering and the birds are welcoming each new day with their chirps and twitters bringing in spring with welcoming blessings.
I’d say it’s time to bring out all the fabulously light and refreshing dishes, lighten the mood, join those birdies outside and set a festive spring table! I am so excited about that!
Love is everywhere! So, when a thoughtful neighbor brought me this gorgeous bunch of freshly cut bay leaves (thank you from the bottom of my heart!), I could hardly wait to bring out one of my favorite spring recipes and drop one of those delightful green leaves into this elegant and delicious dish.
I think the bow makes these bay leaves all the more fabulous, don’t you agree?
What I love about this dish is, the broth is light, infused with flavor and the black beans, red tomato and green capers are a beautiful compliment to a deliciously wonderful fish.
Halibut with Black Beans in Tomato-Rosemary Broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 6-ounce Halibut filets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups diced tomato Roma or on-the-vine tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Sprinkle filets evenly, on both sides, with salt and black pepper. Add filets to pan and cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove filets from pan, cover and keep warm.
- Add minced garlic and bay leaf to the pan and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant, stirring constantly and loosening browned bits in the pan. Stir in the tomato, capers, chicken broth, white wine, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rosemary.
- Serve Tomato-Rosemary broth in shallow bowls, topped with Halibut filets.