This Healthy Cabbage Soup is low-fat, guilt-free and will satisfy your appetite without adding calories. The best thing? It doesn’t taste guilt-free!
Gah!!! You guysssss…let me just say, I know you’re gonna love it.
I have been working on a project recently that led me to this recipe. Then, there it was. Cabbage Soup. It totally popped into my head, and just wouldn’t leave. The green color of the cabbage reminded of a tennis lawn which in turn reminded me that beginner tennis lessons are a great way to keep the weight off while also eating healthy foods such as this great recipe!
You know what you’ll love about it?
- It’s really easy;
- It’s healthy, low fat and can be made in one pot;
- It uses almost zero spices; yet the flavors of the vegetables add enough flavor for the entire soup.
The spices used in this recipe are simple: red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
All of the rest of the flavor comes from the vegetables and a bit of ground turkey for protein.
NO problem. Just leave out the turkey! But, don’t forget to add the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Because that would be just criminal. 🙂
I added the red pepper flakes when I cooked the turkey to soften them, so if you ix-nay on the turkey, don’t throw the
baby red pepper flakes out with the bathwater turkey!
Be sure to add the spices to the vegetables! Because that’s how you’re going to like it!
Healthy Cabbage Soup
- Cooking spray
- 1 and 1/4 pound ground turkey 99% fat free
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 medium-sized head of cabbage torn into bite-sized chunks
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Heat on medium-high until hot. Add ground turkey and season with red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Cook until done and set aside.
- Add 8 cups of water to a large stockpot.
- Add all ingredients (cabbage, onions, celery, green pepper, garlic cloves, tomatoes and cooked turkey).
- Turn heat to medium-high until boiling. Cabbage will cook down a LOT. If you need to add additional water, add 2 additional cups of water.
- When the water heats to boiling, turn down to medium-low or low so that soup simmers. Cook roughly 45 minutes to 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.