These Jalapeno Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Burgers are mildy spicy, easy to make and are a great alternative to a beef burger night!
Who has burger nights at their household? Raise your hand if you do.
Because sometimes you just want to kick back with a cold brew, and sink your teeth into a hearty, satisfying, meaty burger.
Trust me, this Jalapeno Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Burger will satisfy your burger craving, but is a nice twist to the traditional beef burger.
When making these burgers, be sure to read the tips below for easily handling of the ground chicken. Because ground chicken is so soft and moist, it can be a bit unruly and a challenge to prep. (Bad chicken!). But, once you slap it on the fiery, hot grill, it cooks up into a beautiful burger that behaves like a good burger should.
Now, I have good news. You can choose to grill these outdoors on a BBQ, or use a grill skillet in the kitchen (which is what I did), or on a flat-top… it no matteh’ 🙂 because these burgers are worth the initial hassle of getting them on the grill.
But…, (wait for it)…, the first thing you should do before you even start seasoning and forming your chicken patties, is make your Chipotle Aioli. Because this aioli is where these Chicken Burgers really start to sing!
Ok, for all of you non-spice lovers out there. Sigh, you know that makes me cry. But, I have some good news for you too.
If you’re sensitive to spicy recipes, the Chipotle Aioli is not overly spicy, and remember that the heat will be tempered somewhat by the soft, creamy, rich avocado.
In this recipe, I used diced jalapenos, because it’s what I had on hand. But, you could easily substitute sliced jalapenos for a prettier look – or go all-out and used candied jalapenos like Bites of Bri did with her version of these beautiful burgers.
I have learned from you, dear readers (thank you!). Over the many years of blogging, you readers have been a great source of information for me. As you all know, I like foods that are super spicy. Out of the norm kinda spicy. Mmmmm, you all tell me that you don’t quite like that. So, I have listened. I have learned. I get it! Temper down the heat!
Well, it’s very easy to do that with these burgers. I used two chipotle chili peppers in my Chipotle Aioli – which we found moderately spicy. If you want less spice, use less chipotle. And, if that isn’t enough to temper down the heat, 🙂 cut down on your jalapenos too. You just need enough chipotle + jalapeno flavor in them to get the incredible flavor that only jalapenos and smoky chipotle can bring.
Taste your aioli as you go! That way, you get it just the way you like it.
Now, let’s get on to the tips, shall we, so that we can start making these incredible burgers? Yes!
- The ground chicken patties will be very moist and soft, and they’ll be difficult to handle until they get on the grill. Gently lift them and re-shape the edges a bit (using a spatula) after they’re placed on the grill.
- Once they’re put on a screamin’ hot grill, they grill to perfection, holding together with great grill marks. Who doesn’t like a sexy grill mark? 🙂
- Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that your chicken burgers meet the recommended internal temperature and that your chicken is done throughout. Here’s an article by TheKitchn about the safe internal temperature for chicken. Read it!
Jalapeno Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Burgers
- 2 whole chipotle chili peppers diced fine
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce spicy preferred
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Chicken Burgers:
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced canned jalapenos
- 4 hamburgers buns
- 1 avocado smashed (for topping)
- 1 to mato sliced (for topping)
- 4 slices extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- From a can of Chipotle Chilis in adobo sauce, remove and chop two chipotle chilis very fine. Add chopped chilis to mayonnaise and barbecue sauce and mix thoroughly until no lumps appear. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add all spices (oregano through pepper) in a medium-size bowl. Add jalapenos, then ground chicken. Mix thoroughly until all spices and jalapenos are mixed throughout. Form into 3 or 4 even patties. Set aside until ready to grill.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray, and heat grill until hot.
- Spray both sides of the chicken with cooking spray. Add the chicken burgers and sear/cook for 5 minutes on high. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Check doneness of chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it's done and safe to eat.
- Add the cheddar cheese and cook until melted, roughly 1 minute. Remove chicken patties from grill and set aside, and let rest 3-5 minutes.
- Add buns to top rack and grill until you achieve desired grill marks. Remove buns from grill.
- Assemble burgers by placing smashed avocado, onion, tomato and burgers on bottom bun. Top with aioli, and serve. Top with remaining diced jalapenos, if desired.
Jalapeno Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Burgers
Recipe slight adapted from Bites of Bri: Jalapeno Cheddar Chicken Burgers with Chipotle Barbeque Aioli