This delicious cornbread is buttery, moist and soft, filled with corn and jalapenos for great flavor!
I don’t know about you, but come fall, I’m thinking all things comfort food. Fall favorites, right on time. Because I have a hankering for some Hot & Spicy Chili and some Jalapeno Cornbread!
Please, oh please, oh puhlease… tell me you are a comfort food lover too? Because I need a friend that isn’t afraid to dig in, right up to their elbows and indulge. 🙂
I didn’t realize how dependent I was on comfort food, until I did my Friday Foodie Interview with Misadventures With Andi.
One of her questions was: What is your comfort food?
As I always do, I quickly typed out what was top of mind. Later, when I re-read what I’d written, I was shocked to see so many comfort foods on my list!
Spaghetti, Enchiladas, Jambalaya, Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, French Fries with Brown Gravy…and…I even went as far as to say – I don’t think I’ve ever met a Fried Chicken that I didn’t like!
My goodness! Get a wheelbarrow, because if I keep eating like that, I’m going to need it!
Yet, I wonder why chili and cornbread didn’t make the list? 🙂
Ok, let’s get real. I’ve made cornbread dozens of times, and let me tell you – making it in a cast iron skillet is the.way.to.go. The edges get a nice, golden brown with a bit of crisp to them, and it just feels so much more rustic. Homeeeee-y. Sort of that cabin-y feel, you know?
The butter and buttermilk in this cornbread makes it rich and moist, full of that good, hearty cornbread flavor. I used a medium grind cornmeal, and it added a bit of crunch to the cornbread, which made for great texture! If you don’t like the crunch, make it with a fine ground cornmeal instead, so you don’t have any small pieces of crunchy corn in the mix. We loved it that way – and maybe you will too!
For this recipe, I added frozen corn and some jalapenos for flavor. You can omit both of these if you’re hungry for traditional cornbread.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup canned chopped jalapenos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a cast iron skillet generously with oil. Put in oven to heat.
- Melt butter in another large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Stir in corn kernels and chopped jalapenos until well mixed. Pour batter into pre-heated cast iron skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Recipe modified from All Recipes @ Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread.