This Italian Puttanesca with Shredded Chicken is a great Italian dish, loaded with garlic, anchovies, kalamata olives, capers and red pepper flakes.
What is your favorite Italian dish?
This Italian Puttanesca is loaded with garlic, anchovies, kalamata olives, capers and red pepper flakes ~ with a bit of shredded chicken for a great Italian dish.
You know what I love about Puttanesca? It’s garlic-y, salt-y, pasta-y self.
This is not your traditional Puttanesca, because I added the Slow Cooker Crock Pot Shredded Chicken I shared with you a few weeks back.
Remember how I told you that I refuse to be afraid of anything? Well…, in this dish, I conquered another fear. Anchovies! w00t! I did it! 🙂
Although I have to tell you ~ as I was chopping them up and they crunched a bit, I’ll admit I cringed with every single slice of the knife. But…, I put my big girl apron on, and worked through it.
Isn’t that the way it is with fears? You need to work through them? Accepting them easily doesn’t come naturally or they wouldn’t be much of a fear, right?
Yet, you plow through them, and the next thing you know…you’re eating anchovies. 🙂 Who knew?
BTW, this recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Feel free to only use 1/2 teaspoon if you’re worried about the spice factor. This dish is delightfully good either way, because it’s filled with anchovies, kalamata olives, capers, juicy tomatoes and loads of garlic (a.k.a. an Italian lover’s favorite). Trust me, your kitchen will smell amazing while you’re making this.
This time, I added chicken, but you don’t need to ~ it’s a flavorful enough dish without it.
BTW, don’t be shy about serving wine on the side with this Puttanesca. It goes great with a dry red wine and warm, crusty, toasted garlic-parmesan bread.
And just to be sure that you don’t smell like a wino, be sure to use BIG cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped, for a nice, ripe garlic breath for later. Because…you just never know when you might need to breathe on somebody.
Think of it like an Italian breath mint. 🙂
Puttanesca with Shredded Chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tin flat anchovy fillets drained, rinsed and chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 20 kalamata olives pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 2 and ½ cups cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti cooked al dente, then drained
- Grated Parmigiano optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute mixture until anchovies melt into oil and completely dissolve and garlic is tender, about 3 minutes. Add kalamata olives, capers, tomatoes, black pepper, salt, chicken and parsley. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta.
- Cook per pasta instructions. Set aside.
- Toss all ingredients together and top with grated Parmigiano and chopped parsley.
Recipe modified from Food Network @ Pasta Puttanesca.