This Sausage and Peppers Burger is juicy, flavorful, hearty and topped with a spicy homemade marinara sauce. They’re fast to put together and easy for a weeknight.
You know what happens when you slow down? You get a new perspective. 🙂
Thank you to all my internet friends who’ve emailed me, asking me where I’ve been. I heart each and every one of you…I truly and sincerely do.
You all probably want an explanation to where I’ve been the last few weeks, yea?
I’m just sayin’ – it’s The Husband’s fault. It totally is.
He’s been working looonnnggg hours, weekends and late nights and one (me) can only have so many experiment recipe nights before I have more food than one (me) can eat. Finally, you resign yourself to the fact that Costco’s frozen, convenience foods are not going to kill you. So far, I’m living proof of that. 🙂
The Husband claims I barely eat enough to keep vertical anyway, so the transition to not cooking has not killed me, but it’s totally put a lid on my food blogging life. And, I’m sad because I love to cook and feed people.
After playing in Winthrop on Saturday (I can’t wait to tell you about Winthrop!!!), Sunday was a day we needed to slow down and rest together.
But…, while I was in Winthrop, I bought a sign that was sssooo a reflection of where we are right now.
And because I finally had him trapped at home…, I made “man burgers”. His choice, chosen out of several magazines, just because he was here and I was insistent on feeding him!
These burgers are juicy, flavorful, hearty and topped with a spicy homemade marinara sauce (recipe coming this week!). They’re fast to put together, easy for a weeknight or weekend – and so good, they’ll go on your endless rotation list.
So, from my kitchen to yours – here’s celebrating having our loved ones at home. Oh how we like to fill their bellies – and their hearts!
p.s. please write and tell The Husband – “stay home”! 🙂
Sausage and Peppers Burger
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage casings removed, and sausage crumbled
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red onion sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 sesame hamburger buns split
- 4 large basil leaves torn
- 1 cup warmed marinara sauce for topping
- Combine the ground beef, sausage, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix with your hands until just combined. Form into four 3/4-inch-thick patties; set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Toss the onion and bell peppers with the olive oil, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Brush the grill or grill pan with olive oil. Add the burgers and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side, topping with the cheese and covering during the last 2 minutes.
- Serve the burgers on the buns and top with the onion-pepper mixture, basil and marinara sauce. Serve with chips (optional).
Recipe from Food Network @ Sausage and Peppers Burgers.