These Shrimp Avocado Tostadas are light, refreshing and simple to make. They come together easily for a great, healthy, weeknight meal!
Readers, how is your Christmas shopping going?
If you’re still looking for gifts for the home cook, I just launched a new line of aprons in my Etsy shop.
I am a HUGE fan of wearing aprons in the kitchen, so that I always protect my clothes and have a convenient place to wipe my hands.
My very favorites are the canvas aprons. They have a great print design and they’re durable, washable and machine-dryable.
Paris Partie Apron (Canvas)
But, I also have a line of cotton aprons for those of you that like a lighter weight fabric (which I think is GREAT for baking), but I prefer the canvas for cooking where spills and spatters happen. You know how things go around here in IK…we’re prone to a few, uh, ‘accidents’. 😉
Red Floral Apron (Cotton)
To see the new line of aprons (and a larger selection), just click on the Etsy badge above. I also have a “Shop” link on my home page for you to preview the aprons, but if you decide to buy one, head on over to Etsy!
Ok, let’s get to the real reason you’re here. Simply good food! And you will lovvvvve these Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas. Trust me on this – they are DELISH!
This is seriously good stuff.
What you’ll also love is – how simple these are to put together. What we love about them is that they can be done in <30 minutes, which makes them great for a busy weeknight. And, I know that if you’re out shopping for Christmas, you have some busy weeknights coming!
If you decide to make your own, like I did, there are two easy ways:
- Pan fry the corn tortillas in just a bit of hot oil for <1 minute, then drain on paper towels OR
- Brush them with olive oil and bake them until crisp
Happy Christmas shopping!
Shrimp Avocado Tostadas
- 2 tablespoons chopped serrano chile peppers
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 pounds medium shrimp peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas homemade or pre-bought
- 3 avocados
- 3 scallions thinly sliced (white and green parts separated)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 roma tomatoes diced
- Sour cream for topping (optional)
- Add serrano chile peppers, lime juice, olive oil and water to a blender. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt to blender. Blend (puree) until almost smooth. Toss marinade mixture with shrimp in a large bowl and let marinate 30 minutes.
- Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash. Mix in the white parts of the scallion, lime juice, cayenne pepper, salt and cilantro and toss until mixed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp and cook until just opaque. Season with salt, and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon lime juice.
- Spread avocado mixture onto the tostadas. Top with shrimp, sour cream (optional), diced tomatoes and scallion greens.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from Food Network @ Shrimp-Avocado Tostadas.