This rich, creamy Smoked Salmon Chowder is hearty, rich and decadent with a prominent smoked salmon flavor, loaded with vegetables, that is out of this world.
What is your favorite type of chowder?
Oh how I love me some chowder! How about you? Chowder, anyone?
Rich and creamy – this chowder has a full flavored broth that is full of depth. Truly one of the greatest chowders we’ve ever eaten.
We both absolutely loved it, and we think you will too!
I love sharing recipes that are hands-down winners. Getting to test, try and taste every single recipe before I share it with you (to make sure you’re getting the best of the best!) makes sure that when you make it, you will also love every single bite and beg for more!
My goal is to give you great recipes that you put in your rotation.
Get ready to write this recipe down! 🙂
When I first saw this recipe on Pinch of Yum, I just knew I had to make it for my family. We are huge seafood lovers, and living in the Pacific Northwest makes it easy to get and have on hand when we need it!
Although the POY recipe is fabulous as is, I did make some modifications to it, to accommodate what I had on hand. So, if you’re looking for the original recipe, hop on over to Pinch Of Yum.
As you know, I’m not afraid of switching up recipes – as long as you don’t loose the integrity and authenticity of the dish.
With a strong, full-flavored ingredient like smoked salmon, you don’t want it covered up with a bunch of other competing ingredients. You want the smoked salmon to be the star!
No problem here! This salmon shined like the brightest star in the sky! 🙂 Trust me. Can you see this in my ‘favorites’ Anniversary post next year?
You’ll want to serve this steaming, piping hot with some crunchy, warm bread. It makes for great dipping and sopping because you’ll love the broth so much!
With this recipe you’ll get salmon, potatoes and veggies in every.single.bite. with a savory, rich, creamy, smoked salmon flavored broth. Seriously tasty stuff!
I hope you try it, and love it as much as we did. I say Eat, Eat!
Smoked Salmon Chowder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups leeks chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped celery
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 and 1/2 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cream
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked salmon *see note
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the leeks, carrots, and celery and saute until soft and fragrant. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up browned bits for flavor.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, and 2 cups of the chicken broth. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. Whisk the flour into the milk and add to the skillet to allow it to thicken. Add 1 additional cup of broth and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the soup starts thickening just slightly. Add the salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and smoked salmon just before serving. If the soup is too thick, add just enough of the remaining 1 cup of broth to get it the consistency that you like.
Recipe adapted from Pinch Of Yum @ Smoked Salmon Chowder.