Last Monday, I was invited to join a recipe contest in observance of National Taco Day.
In my house, suddenly that email triggered a frenzy of “game on”.
My mind went into overdrive of the endless combinations I could try to create the perfect taco that just might win me a trip to Los Cabos.
Can you just imagine it?
Dreaming about winning and taking that vacation, and getting to work hard in my most favorite place in the world (the kitchen), is almost as good as winning. Almost.
Whether I win or not…, these tacos are complete winners and you will love them. With a juicy, flavorful marinade, the flank steak is mouth-watering, and grilled at 7-10 minutes per side, the meat is a perfectly done medium and super tender.
The spicy, crisp and fresh ingredients of the Pico De Gallo will have you going back for seconds. Maybe even thirds! (I know! I’m sorry!)
Be sure to take the time and grill the corn tortillas. They are an absolute must-have with these. The charred, crisp flavor and freshly grilled look adds to the whole street taco flair – and the taste is unbeatable!
Carne Asada Street Tacos with Pico De Gallo
Marinade & Meat
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 orange juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 pounds flank steak
Pico De Gallo Salsa
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 Serrano chiles minced (with seeds)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 - 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded jack and cheddar cheese
- Mix garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper together. Add lime juice, orange juice, olive oil and vinegar. Place in a jar and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Rinse and pat dry flank steak. Place in baking dish and pour marinade over the top. Cover and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 8 hours).
- Oil grates of gas grill. Grill flank steak over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes per side or until medium to medium-well done. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice across the grain, roughly 1/2 inch thick.
Pico De Gallo
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Grill tortillas individually over direct heat (i.e. over a gas stove) until slightly browned (roughly 10-15 seconds per side) and slightly crisp edges. Fold in half while warm to retain shape.
- Add marinated meat to taco shells, top with shredded cheese and pico de gallo and serve!
Recipe modified from Food Network @ Tacos Carne Asada.