This Sweet Potato, Kale & Red Pepper Hash is bright, beautiful and filled with vegetables, then tossed with lots of garlic and cracked black pepper for a garlic-y, pepper-y hash you won’t be able to stop eating.
I’m so excited to share our first food/wine pairing and this Sweet Potato, Kale & Red Pepper Hash recipe. Not only is this hash beautiful to look at, it’s flavor profile is an amazing mix of garlic, cracked black pepper and red bell pepper with the comfortable mix of both russet and sweet potatoes.
Who doesn’t love a bit of carbs? 🙂
I’m always looking for new side dish recipes to serve that are easy to prepare and full of healthy vegetables that can be served with fish, chicken or beef. This recipe is one of those. 🙂
The other thing you will love about this recipe is, that this hash cooks up really fast! Like lightening fast. It will be done and ready to serve before you know it!
I love a recipe you can get on the table super quick, don’t you?
The most time consuming part of preparing this dish is prepping and dicing all the vegetables. Once that is done, it cooks up in roughly less than ~10 minutes from stovetop to tabletop.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t even get to the mailbox that quick. 🙂
Don’t you love a fast, easy and fantastic tasting recipe like that? I know I do!
Cathy (@ Cherry Valley Winery) and I paired this with a perfectly cooked filet mignon and a 2014 Malbec wine. The 2014 Malbec is indicative to its varietal, and is lush with purple and dark fruit aromatics of plum and blackberries, integrated well with notes of oak, cinnamon and cloves.
A savory, mouthwatering wine with flavors of dark fruit and tannins that increase towards the finish, coating your mouth and leaving you with a lovely, lingering aftertaste. Enjoy now or lay this wine down for years to come!
Sweet Potato, Kale & Red Pepper Hash
- 3 ounces kale stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped in 1/2" dice
- 14 ounces sweet potato chopped in 1/2" dice
- 1 russet potato chopped in 1/2" dice
- 2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon chives minced
- 2 - 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 - 4 tablespoons water
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Chop and dice kale, onion, red bell pepper, sweet potato, russet potato and garlic.
- Mince parsley, thyme and chives.
- Place a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat and heat until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and garlic and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add onions, red bell pepper, sweet potato and russet potato and 2 tablespoons of water and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 7 - 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Uncover the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time, and add kale and thyme. Cook 3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Remove from heat and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer to serving plate and serve. Top with parsley and chives for garnish.