I love experimenting with recipes and putting new twists on old favorites. And, one of my long-time favorite recipes and one of the most flavorful dishes I have ever made, were these Thai Beef Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce that I found over at Serious Eats.
I distinctly remember the very first time I ate them…I was overwhelmed with memories of a very similar dish that was served at a local Eurasian restaurant that has since closed. I was so happy to find this recipe, I could hardly wait to make it.
I was not disappointed, and it’s a recipe I’ve treasured ever since.
Yet, this past weekend, I found myself so busy painting boards for the faux tabletops I use in my photography (and putting together the long tutorial for Monday’s post), that I just didn’t have time to individually roll, wrap and grill the Thai Beef Rolls.
And, after standing out in the windy, chilly weather for hours, I’d worked up enough of an appetite that I wanted something fast, hearty, spicy and delicious.
So, let me introduce you and say welcome to a new family favorite ~ Thai Basil Beef Burgers with Spicy Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce!
Yes, I pumped up the volume on the heat meter to warm my belly!
I added extra Srirach and an extra Thai Chili or two to the sauce, because we like it extra spicy and I needed to get warm real quick. You know what I’m sayin? So, if you ain’t in the heat-lovin’ mood, just dial it down a skosh.
This is essentially the same recipe as the Thai Beef Rolls, only prepared a bit differently and served as a burger with the sweet (now spicy too!) chili sauce on the side. You get the same great flavor (even better with the extra heat!) without the extra hassle of wrapping each one individually and gently trying to grill them without them fallin’ apart on ya.
The recipe does call for Thai Basil, but you can use regular Basil if the Thai Basil is difficult to find.
You’ll notice the recipe doesn’t call for any condiments on the burger – you really don’t need it because the Spicy, Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce is the perfect accompaniment for this flavorful, succulent, basil-packed burger.
Thai Basil Beef Hamburgers with Spicy, Sweet Chili Sauce
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 pound ground chuck 80% lean
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Thai chilis
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Thai basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 6 Slider or 4 Hamburger Buns
Dipping Sauce Instructions
- Mix all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the ground chuck with the remaining ingredients. Shape the beef into slider or hamburger patties.
- Grill over medium to medium-high heat until burgers are done.
- Assemble the buns, burgers, basil leaves and serve with the dipping sauce.