This savory Scallops Puttanesca dish is fast, easy and fantastic - slightly spicy with fresh garlic and basil and packs a tangy punch with the briny, flavor of kalamata olives and capers.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce
- 6 large garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 20 kalamata olives coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for scallops
- 1 pound sea scallops thawed (if frozen)
- 1 # spaghetti noodles cooked per package instructions
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, garlic, anchovy paste, and crushed red pepper to the pan. Saute mixture until anchovy paste melts into the oil and garlic is tender (2 - 3 minutes). Add tomatoes with juice, olives, capers, basil and black pepper. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to another pan and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Place scallops in pan and sear on each side until cooked through, being careful not to over-cook!
Toss spaghetti with sauce, then top with scallops and garnish with reserved basil.
1 tablespoon of olive oil for the sauce
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of anchovy paste instead of anchovies
You will use the basil in the sauce while simmerimg, and reserve some on the side for garnishing the dish.
1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste = 2 anchovy fillets, per What's Cooking America.
Sprinkle scallops with black pepper but NOT salt. The capers and kalamata olives take care of the necessary salt in this dish. If you do need to add salt, do it at the table when serving. :-)