Chicken Fajita Tacos with Cotija Cheese
These Chicken Fajita Tacos are light, refreshing and healthy! You will love the bright, crisp flavor with just a touch of lime zest! Amazingly good and low fat too!
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow)
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest + wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
Slice and prep bell peppers, onions, garlic and lemon zest. Saute all vegetables except lime zest in a hot skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until slightly soft. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside on a separate plate.
Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Cut into bite-sized pieces and season with chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to hot skillet at medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until done (no pink throughout). Use 2 tablespoons of water to finish the cooking process and get the chicken done throughout. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
Turn burner on, place tortillas (one at a time) directly on burner and heat until warm and just brown and crispy on the edges. This should only take about 1 minute per tortilla! Set aside on a plate.
Top prepared tacos with lime zest and serve with pico de gallo/salsa and crumbled COTIJA cheese. :-)