Slow Cooker Refried Beans
The Slow Cooker Refried Beans are better than you can get at your local Mexican restaurant - with a great consistency, packed with flavor and they're not refried!
- 3 cups dried pinto beans rinsed
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper chopped, seeds and membranes removed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 to 5 teaspoons salt * see note
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 9 cups water
- 1/8 to 1/2 cup reserved refried bean water * see note
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Place pinto beans, onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, cumin and water in a slow cooker. Cook on high heat for 8 hours.
Drain beans, reserving water. Set water aside. Using a hand mixer, mix beans until you reach the desired consistency. Use the reserved bean water to reach desired consistency.
Serve, topped with cheddar cheese, if desired.
*I started with only using 3 teaspoons of salt while cooking the beans. After cooking, I added salt one teaspoon at a time, and ended up adding 2 additional teaspoons (for a total of 5 teaspoons). Only add salt to your taste preference - so add it slowly!
**Also, reserve the water from the beans and use the reserved bean water to get the final beans to the consistency you want.