A light, rich and delicious Zucchini Onion & Tomato Frittata that makes a fancy and flavorful breakfast or brunch treat.
Not only is this Zucchini, Onion & Tomato Frittata beautiful to look at, you’ll be amazed at the light yet rich flavor.
It’s packed with healthy vegetables then baked in the oven to get the eggs to set and finished with a quick flash under the broiler to get the edges that crisp, golden brown.
A great light way to start your day.
Now, you all know my long, difficult history with cracking eggs. If you don’t remember, you can read about it, and the proverbial ‘training bowl’, in these posts: Applesauce Muffins, Fortune Cookie Lips and Chocolate Stout Cupcakes.
So, you can imagine how worried I was about the mess I was going to make when I tried to tackle this 8 egg filled frittata! Yikes!
Thank you YouTube! 8 eggs, no shells. not.one.single.shell. Success!
As it turns out, I learned that I was hitting the eggs on the counter top way to softly, causing smaller shards of cracked shell, which loosened just enough for the larger pieces to break off and fall into the bowl.
Who knew? 🙂
Tada! Zucchini flowers. 🙂
Really, it’s the little things.
But, tell me – don’t you love how absolutely adorable these cut zucchini look? See…flowers!
Zucchini, Onion & Tomato Fritatta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium zucchini thinly sliced *(see note)
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 roma tomato diced (approximately 1/2 cup)
- Garnish: chopped seeded roma tomatoes
- Melt butter with oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion, and sauté 12 to 14 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and tomatoes.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients at least 1 minute or until well blended. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until set; increase oven temperature to broil, and broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Top with diced roma tomato for garnish, if desired.
Recipe modified from Cooking Light My Recipes @ Zucchini-Onion Fritatta.